Community Fitness member and Seattle native Theresa Hennings is sharing her healthy, fitness friendly and guilt free brownie recipe just in time for Valentine’s Day! Theresa creates a homemade, dairy free nutella to top gluten free brownies.
(makes 1 cup)
1 heaping cup dry roasted hazelnuts
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp almond milk, unsweetened
2 tbsp agave syrup
1. Place whole hazelnuts in food processor and grind until it has butter consistency
2. Add in the other ingredients and pulse to combine, until creamy
(It’s okay if it’s still grainy- does not affect taste or brownies)
(makes 24 squares)
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 cup homemade nutella (see above)
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup dry roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients (oat flour through baking powder) in a small bowl and whisk to combine well.
3. Add melted coconut oil, nutella, and sugars to a large bowl and mix together with an electric mixer.
4. Add in vanilla and eggs and mix until well-blended and smooth.
5. Slowly add in flour mixture, mixing throughout.
6. Stir in chopped hazelnuts by hand.
7. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan with coconut oil and pour batter into pan, scraping sides of bowl with a spatula.
8. Make sure batter is evenly spread around pan and place in oven.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until top is set but when toothpick is inserted, is still just slightly gooey.
10. Let cool completely and cut into squares.
For more of Theresa’s recipes, visit her blog Cloud Thyme.